I seriously love Jamie Oliver and these pancakes make me love him even more. It’s a super easy way to make healthy homemade pancakes. Just follow the directions here or head over to Buzzfeed to see photos with Jamie making them.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 11 ounces (about 1½ cups) blueberries
- 1 large, ripe banana
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg
- 1¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat the pan
Optional, to garnish:
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (I used blueberry yogurt)
- Ground cinnamon
- 1 ounce chopped raw, unsalted pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts
- Manuka honey (I used local honey to ward off allergies)
- Blitz half the blueberries, peeled banana, milk, egg, and flour in a blender to make a smoothie pancake batter.
- Dump into a bowl and fold in the remaining berries.
- Place a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour in a little bit of olive oil, then use a paper towel to wipe it around the pan and absorb the excess.
- Once hot, put your batter into the pan to make large pancakes or little ones, whichever you fancy. Either way, cook for a couple of minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden.
- Sometimes I flip them for an additional 30 seconds on each brown side to ensure they get super crispy. Serve as and when they’re ready, while you get on with more.
- To serve, slice pancakes in half so you can see all that lovely fruit.
- Top with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkling of cinnamon, and a scattering of toasted nuts, then finish with a little drizzle of honey.
Recipe by Jamie Oliver, from Everyday Super Food