It’s 6:30 am on Sunday and I’m half out of it but I’ve also been in bed since 6:30 pm Friday. I’m not sure my body can handle being horizontal for much longer before it thinks I’m dead.

Why you ask? Why have I been in bed for over 24 hours?

Well, one of my coworkers decided to come to work sick and share the flu with the office. I was the first to fall. It started Thursday. I woke up with no voice and feeling a bit exhausted with just the slightest exertion of energy.

Then Friday, I woke up and felt like I had been hit with a truck. I was lightheaded, full of grossness, and had a low grade fever. But the day had to go on. I had a presentation with a client and was showing them their new website designs for the first time. I apologized profusely for the fact that I had no voice and sounded like a shrieking loon over the phone.

After the presentation and eleven rounds of changes on another project, I was finished with my day. I had nothing left and off to bed I went. I woke up every few hours to blow my nose, hack some shit out of my chest and check my temperature which was slowly rising through the day.

About noon, I had hit 102 degrees. My face was hot, I was a little out of it, and just couldn’t get comfortable. I knew I had to break the temperature because being at 102 or higher for an extended period of time can be dangerous.

I sleep in a waterbed, so I turned the bed heat up to 90, covered myself with a down comforter, a quilt, and a knitted blanket all to try and sweat out the fever. Eight hours pass and nothing. Still sitting high at 102. Finally, I can’t take it anymore. I texted my mom and asked her to bring me non-expired medicine.

See, I had been taking meds that had been expired for at least four years. This isn’t a bad thing, except the dosage is severely less effective. But when you can’t stand up because your balance is so off, you take what you can.

My mom, being the awesome woman she is brought me up some excedrin and within sixty minutes of taking it, I start to sweat. I can feel the fever breaking. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to be so sweaty.

As the fever broke, I was able to relax and get in about four hours of sleep. Now I’m awake, but still exhausted. More mucus is coming out, with no end in sight but hopefully I can get rid of this flu in the next coming day or two.

While I’m happy that my immune system is building up a defense to this strain of flu, I’m extremely upset that this person thought it was okay to come into work with the flu. It’s irresponsible and reckless. You’re not strong for coming into the workplace sick, you’re not toughing it out. You’re exposing everyone else to an illness they wouldn’t otherwise be exposed to.

If you are sick, stay home. In my industry, you can work from anywhere. There is no reason to come in and expose people to your germs. So don’t.